Thursday, May 31, 2007

In which I'm feeling persnickety


Why does taking your car in to get serviced always end up costing approx. $1 billion? And coincide with other, spendy times in your life? The remaining duration of which, I shall be dining on naught but ramen noodles and tap water. Bleagh. Anyway...

I have turned into a knitting machine. I think this is because I switched over to knitting continental a month or two ago, and yes, it is faster. Also, I don't know if it's the weather or the pilates or what, but the repetative stress injury that flares up in my right wrist from time to time has not shown its head in quite some time. So, woohoo!

Huggable Hedgehogs

I finished the other two hedgies I was working on. This is a great pattern, but I must say I'm a little tired of it. I'll definitely revisit it, since I told my Pop I'd make him one for his office, but I've got to take a little break, first. They did come out very cutely, though.

The brown one, you remember, is Chocolate Chip. Then of course we've got the brown, pink, and white Neapolitan, and the little green and white baby hedgie Pistachio. Pistachio might be my favorite.





Danica

I've been doing a lot of knitting for others lately, which is a change from my usual selfish knitting tendancies. I had two balls of the Noro Silk Garden I used for my Clapotis wrap in the basket, a scarf my mom greatly admired. While two balls are not enough for another giant Clapotis, it's not out of the realm of possibility that you can coax a nice scarf from them. Since I've seen lovely results when people mix Noro and entrelac, I decided to give Knitty's Danica scarf a shot.
I'm really into this entrelac thing, I'll tell you. It's pretty mindless, with just enough cha-cha to make it interesting. I'm contemplating some kind of fringe or something to finish the edges, but since I've got a whole ball of yarn to go, I don't have to think about that just yet.

Nightime in the Owlry



So, this girl, who I've known for several years now, is graduating from high school this June. This must be a huge relief to her, since I remember being SO ready to escape high school. I didn't care about graduation, or speeches, or my gpa. I would have skipped the ceremony if I could have; I just wanted to be allowed to stop going. I was excited about going to college, but as the time to leave home got closer and closer, fear and anxiety began moving in. I remember, during a freshman orientation meeting one evening, we were asked to bring a "meaningful" object and talk about why it was "meaningful." Most of the girls brought pictures or stuffed animals, (I think one girl brought a photo of a horse). I brought a blanket that I made in either elementary or middle school. I've had it for ages, and somehow it keeps following me around. It might be that it's just a good size, or a good weight, or that it is so familiar after all this time it has become comforting out of habit.

ANYWAY, this lovely kid I know is graduating, and her mom is doing the greatest thing--she's having friends knit up 12x12" squares, that will all be sewn together to make a blanket. A blanket to go with this girl to college. How great is that? I finished my square last night. As you can see, it's called "Nightime in the Owlry," because it's got four of those uber-trendy owl cables in it. Other than that, it's pretty plain vanilla. Knit up in brown and white Peace Fleece, with some weird variagated, glisten-y yarn (the top panel and blue owl) that I think is some kind of synthetic. I can't find the ball band. I'm really pleased with how it came out, and I'm toying with the idea of starting an entire blanket, made up of these squares. Could be pretty sweet....

Lorna's Laces
This is just yarn pr0n. Picked these up at MD Sheep and Wool for $20/2 skeins. Layette colorway.

No comments: