Thursday, January 3, 2008

New Year's Sock to the Face

akemashite o-medetō-gozaimasu!



Happy 2008, everybody! I hope you all had a great couple of holidays and aren't too broken up about being back at work this week. Above is the sum total of my vacation knitting--1 sock, to match the other sock I finished months ago. I'm very happy with these guys, which fit fine and are quite comfortable. The Lorna's Laces sock yarn is definitely not my favorite to work with, and I still hold that it looks a little anemic knit up, but they are dang comfy socks.

Costa Rica was AWESOME. I was still sick as a dog before we left, but Doc P got me some antibiotics to take and, along with copious amounts of DayQuil and Mucinex, I pleased to report I made a full recovery. My usual strategy with sickness is to buckle down, take some advil, drink lots of orange juice, and maybe sleep a little more than the usual 5.5-6 hours. Thus, this was my first time taking DayQuil. Wow. I don't know what the normal reaction to this stuff is, but my understanding was that it's supposed to alleviate your symptoms but not knock you out so you can still be productive. NO. You guys, I got totally messed up on DayQuil. A little plastic medicine cup of neon orange syrup is akin to a couple of strong drinks, as far as my body is concerned. Still, one happy-lala plane ride later, and we were in lovely, temperate Costa Rica which would make anyone feel better.

We stayed with my aunt and uncle while we were there, and it was lovely to see their family again. My mom and her sister are only 14 months apart, and had kids at roughly the same time. Our families have always gotten along real well, and my cousins and my siblings and I have had some great times together. This, combined with the beautiful surroundings, lack of itinerary, lack of TV and Internet, and the sound of the waves crashing on the beach, made this vacation something I hadn't had in a really long time...a VACATION. Ahhh. Next year in Costa Rica!

Anyway, I'm feeling rested, roasted, and ready to rock. 2008, do your worst!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! Costa Rica sounds lovely. I could go for a little beach right now.
See you soon I hope - happy new year!