Wednesday, November 12, 2008

End of an era

So the other day, for a brief period of time, I had no projects on the needles. Everything was finished--TOTALLY finished. Ends were woven in, fabric was blocked, finished items were folded and tucked away. It was weird.

Among these finished items was my Gossamer Stars scarf, something I'd been working on for-ev-er. One of the things I like best aboutRavelry is that the Notebook feature allows you to log exactly when you started and finished a project. In this particular instance, I began the scarf on May 18, 2008, and finally wrapped things up on October 31, 2008. I attribute my laggardly pace to two things:

1) While working on this scarf, I quickly became very dubious that it was something I'd wear, once it was finished. The light blue and yellow started to see way too Easter eggy for my taste. This uncertainty dulled my desire to finish it in a timely fashion.

2) Scarves are just kind of boring to work on. Even lace scarves made out of gorgeous, buttery Handmaiden Sea Silk.

At the end of the day, this thing finally got finished because it was a super-portable project that I ended up taking on several trips. When given the choice between boring knitting and no knitting, I'll take boring knitting. It's turned out to be a really great scarf that I've worn several times already. The post-blocked Sea Silk is wonderfully drapy, and the fabric is thin enough that I can loop it a gazillion times around my neck and still feel comfy. Plus, the colors look great with my black corduroy blazer--not Easter eggy at all!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I love it - I agree, not Easter-eggy at all, although I can totally see how you would have needed to wait for the FO to guarantee it.

So - what does it feel like to have nothing on the needles? I can't even imagine, LOL!!!